Cherry Meringue Dessert Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. heart shape, building up edges slightly.
- Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place heart on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Meringue Dessert in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p37
Reviews for Cherry Meringue Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2012
"Much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a lot of time in the oven, so plan ahead. Worth the time. It's light so we could eat with a big celebration dinner"