This cheery coffee cake is an all-time favorite with my seven grandchildren. The latticed top showcases the cherries so beautifully that it's almost too pretty to eat.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add sour cream, egg, sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Reserve 1 cup dough. Divide remaining dough in half. Roll each portion into a 9-in. circle; place in greased 9-in. round baking pans. Combine filling ingredients; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edge.
- Roll out reserved dough to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Make a lattice top over filling. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cover top with foil; bake 20 minutes longer or until browned. Yield: 2 coffee cake.
Originally published as Cherry Lattice Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p19
Reviews for Cherry Lattice Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review