Cherry Kringle Recipe
The soft dough in this recipe is so easy to work with. It bakes into a golden tender pastry that surrounds a luscious cherry center. Since the recipe makes four loaves, I serve one and freeze the other three for future use. -Mary Christianson, Carmel, Indiana
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups cherry pie filling
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Add to yeast mixture. Add eggs; beat to form a very soft dough (do not knead). Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 11-in. rectangle; spread cherry pie filling down the center third of each rectangle. Starting at a long side, fold a third of the dough over filling; fold other third over top; pinch to seal. Pinch ends and tuck under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over kringles. Yield: 4 loaves.
Originally published as Cherry Kringle in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p25
Reviews for Cherry Kringle(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2013
It was okay, not everyone like it though. It baked nicely.
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2012 Edited Feb. 6, 2013
Recipe works great and yields a soft dough. Delicious without the frosting too.
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2009
I make this recipe for my family's Christmas dinner and they all loved it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Cherry Coffee Cake >