Cookies that melt in your mouth and are practically fat-free...is it any wonder Jo Ann Blomquest's crispy meringue morsels disappear as fast as she can whip them up? "Friends and family love them," she relates from Freeport, Illinois.
36 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/3 cup chopped candied cherries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually
- beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy
- peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. Fold in the walnuts, dates
- and cherries.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 20-30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool
- for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 45 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.