Cherry Icebox Cookies Recipe
As a home economics teacher, I often supplied treats for school functions. These delectable cookies were always popular.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cherry and lemon juices and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and cherries.
- 2. Shape into four 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- 3. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 66 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC