- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cherry and lemon juices and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and cherries.
- Shape into four 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Icebox Cookies
Sort By :
Very disappointed...not worth the effort
The only trouble I had with these was getting them formed into some sort of log shape to put in the refrigerator. The flavor is excellent even if they aren't perfect little round things. :)
They are very good and look nice the first time I baked them was 3years ago because my daughter wanted pink cookies and they were so tasty and I never had any problem with the dough
These were yummy the second time around, I added a liittle more juice. It gave it more flavor.
Yummy! These cookies are soft and sweet, just like they look. I used black walnuts that my brother collected and added a teaspoon of vanilla. The dough was very loose and hard to roll into a log, but firmed up nicely. I sliced a little more than a quarted inch thick, so I didn't get quite as many as suggested. Only baked them for 7 minutes. Delish! I will definitely make these cookies again!