A friend shared this recipe, which has become an all-time favorite of mine. It's so versatile—I've substituted different cookies (macaroons or chocolate chip) ice cream and chips with delicious results. —Kathy Kittell, Lenexa, Kansas (Reader used crisp Italian macaroons instead of shortbread cookies.)
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (11 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ICE CREAM CAKE:
- 2 pints cherry or cherry vanilla ice cream, softened, divided
- 3 cups crushed shortbread cookies, divided
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- In a small saucepan, heat cream and butter over low heat until butter is melted; remove from the heat. Add chips; let stand for 1 minute. Whisk until sauce is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line the bottom and sides of a 9x5-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. Spread 1 pint cherry ice cream into prepared pan; sprinkle with 1 cup cookie crumbs. Top with vanilla ice cream. Freeze 20 minutes or until firm.
- Spread with 3/4 cup chocolate sauce; freeze 20 minutes. Top with remaining cherry ice cream; sprinkle with 1 cup cookie crumbs. Cover and freeze 4 hours. Transfer remaining sauce to a microwave-safe dish; cover and refrigerate.
- Remove dessert from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Using plastic wrap, remove dessert from pan; discard plastic wrap. Press remaining cookie crumbs into sides. Using a serrated knife, cut into 12 slices. Warm reserved sauce in a microwave; serve with ice cream cake. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Originally published as Cherry Ice Cream Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p15
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cherry Ice Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review