Cherry Grunt Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place cherries and juice in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with water, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; place in a bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender. Add milk and vanilla.
- 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1/2 cup: 183 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Grunt
"This was my first time in preparing this recipe. I used it for the Cherry Challenge this week and prepared it today! I think that for the first time, it worked out! I did adjust the recipe as I'd used pitted DARK SWEET CHERRIES IN HEAVY SYRUP plus the 1-1/2 cups of water, 2 Tbsp. butter, 1/3 cup sugar for sweet cherries OR 1/2 cup sugar for tart cherries. I covered cherry mixture and simmered for 5 minutes. I'd used 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, the 1 cup flour, 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder, which I sifted together and then cut in remaining butter with my pastry blender. I then added the milk and vanilla. I'd soured the milk with 1 Tbsp. white vinegar and stirred the dough until blended; dropping by small teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture. I covered and simmered 20 to 30 minutes and used a cake tester to test the dumplings. I have the reference book which this recipe came from: Grandma's Great desserts and so I just printed the recipe from online!Thank you for sharing this dessert recipe! I'm giving this recipe a 4 since I'd never made it before! delowenstein"
"Quick and easy... I used fresh cherries plus an extra 1/2 cup of cherry juice I had on hand, so a total of 2 c of liquid (with the water) in total, but next time I would probably only use 1 c of liquid in total, as it was more than needed. Nice served hot with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream"