Cherry Grunt Recipe
My husband and two sons really enjoy this old-time dessert. Besides cooking for them, I'm a hot lunch cook and prepare the main dish for about 1,300 students!
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place cherries and juice in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with water, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; place in a bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender. Add milk and vanilla.
- 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Grunt
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC