My husband and two sons really enjoy this old-time dessert. Besides cooking for them, I'm a hot lunch cook and prepare the main dish for about 1,300 students!
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cherries and juice in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with water, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; place in a bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender. Add milk and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Grunt in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p41
Reviews for Cherry Grunt
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review