Cherry Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe
A sweet frosting with a hint of lemon complements these little spice cakes, each with a maraschino cherry in the center. They're one of my dad's favorite desserts and a sure way of getting him to come over for a cup of coffee. —Laura McAllister, Morganton, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 24 maraschino cherries, well drained
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full; place a cherry in the center of each. Bake at 375° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy; add vanilla and lemon peel. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC