- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red maraschino cherry juice
- 12 red maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream the butter and shortening; gradually add sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla. combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Add juices, cherries and butter. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Chill.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Place half of the cookies on greased baking sheets; spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each. Use a 1-1/2-in. heart-shaped cutter to cut small hearts out of the other half of the cookies. (Bake small heart cutouts separately.) Place the remaining hearts over filled cookies; press edges together gently. Fill centers with additional filling if needed. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen filled cookies.
Originally published as Cherry-Filled Heart Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p8
Reviews for Cherry-Filled Heart Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2014
Very pretty and delicious Valentine cookie! The tender buttery dough is great to work with and cherry filling is wonderful.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Sweet Finger Food Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dessert Recipes >