- Drain cherries; reserve 1 cup of the juice. Set aside. In a saucepan,
- combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cherry juice. Cook and
- stir over medium-high heat until bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute
- more. Remove from heat; stir in butter, extract, food coloring and
- cherries. Set aside to cool.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut butter into
- flour, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture and egg yolks; mix
- thoroughly. If needed, add additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half. Roll half the dough into a 17-in. x 11-in.
- rectangle. Carefully transfer to a greased 17-1/2-in. x 11-1/2-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan. Spread cooled cherry filling over dough. Roll out
- second portion of dough to 17-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Carefully
- place over cherry filling. Press edges together to seal. Cover and
- allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake
- at 350° about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Combine topping ingredients except nuts and spread over uncut
- surface. Top with nuts and cut into squares. Yield: 24 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 276 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.