Cherry Dumplings Recipe
This is my mom's recipe, and I'm happy to share it. The dumplings are out of this world, and they complement the tart cherries.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries with juice, 3/4 cup sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon peel, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering cherry mixture. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 8 servings.
2 each: 216 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Cherry Dumplings
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2012
"Just like Mama used to make. Delicious!!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC