This is my mom's recipe, and I'm happy to share it. The dumplings are out of this world, and they complement the tart cherries.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine the cherries with juice, 3/4 cup sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon peel, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering cherry mixture. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Dumplings in Reminisce February/March 2010, p51
Reviews for Cherry Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2012
"Just like Mama used to make. Delicious!!"