Cherry Dumpling Soup
My husband grew up with this dish, but his mother never wrote down the recipe. So when we got married, I had to create my own. Luckily, my husband deemed my version a success!
4-6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark sweet cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside.
- In large saucepan, combine juice, water, 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon;
- bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar
- in a small bowl. Add milk and oil, stirring just until moistened.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water; stir into
- soup. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 163 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium,