Cherry Dumpling Soup Recipe
My husband grew up with this dish, but his mother never wrote down the recipe. So when we got married, I had to create my own. Luckily, my husband deemed my version a success!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark sweet cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside.
- 2. In large saucepan, combine juice, water, 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 3. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar in a small bowl. Add milk and oil, stirring just until moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water; stir into soup. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 163 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC