- 1 can (15 ounces) dark sweet cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside.
- In large saucepan, combine juice, water, 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar in a small bowl. Add milk and oil, stirring just until moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water; stir into soup. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Dumpling Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p40
Reviews for Cherry Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review