Cherry Dream Cake
"I serve this at Christmas because it's so festive," Margaret McNeil says of her crowd-pleasing cake. The Germantown, Tennessee baker uses cherry gelatin to give a boxed cake mix an eye-appealing marbled effect.
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or
- until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Cool cake on a wire rack for 3-5
- minutes. Poke holes in cake with a meat fork or wooden skewer;
- gradually pour gelatin over cake. Cool for 15 minutes. Cover and
- refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in whipped
- topping. Carefully spread over cake. Top with the pie filling. Cover
- and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 20
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with sugar-free gelatin, fat-free cream cheese, reduced-fat whipped topping and light cherry pie filling) equals 164 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium,