Cherry Divinity Recipe
It's just not Christmas without these light and airy confections on my dessert platter. The recipe is versatile because you can replace the cherry gelatin with any flavor that suits your taste.—Crystal Ralph-Haughn, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing YIELD:60 servings
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Place egg whites in a large stand mixer bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- 3. Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in gelatin. Beat until stiff peaks form. With mixer running on high speed, carefully pour hot syrup in a slow, steady stream into the bowl. Beat just until candy loses its gloss and holds its shape, about 5 minutes. Immediately stir in walnuts.
- 4. Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature overnight or until dry to the touch. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 piece equals 69 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC