Cherry Danish Recipe
I won an award when I first made these delicious danish for a 4-H competition years ago. They're still a family favorite today.Christie Cochran, Canyon, Texas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground mace, lemon extract and vanilla extract
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, 1/4 cup shortening, sugar, 2 eggs, salt, mace, extracts and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a large floured surface, roll dough out to a 24-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Dot half of the dough with 1/4 cup of shortening; fold dough lengthwise. Fold the dough three times lengthwise, then two times widthwise, each time dotting with some of the remaining shortening. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 16-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Cut into 8-in. x 3/4-in. strips, coil into a spiral shape, tucking end underneath the coil. Place in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Beat remaining egg. Make a depression in the center of each roll; brush with egg. Fill with 1 tablespoon of pie filling. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 40 rolls.
Originally published as Cherry Danish in Country Woman March/April 1998, p29
Reviews for Cherry Danish(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2011
Yes - But there seems to be a problem with the ingredients/directions. Recipe calls for 3/4 c shortening, 1/4 of which is incorporated into the dough, 1/4 is dotted on the dough when rolling -- where is there remaining 1/4 c included?
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >