Cherry Danish Recipe
I won an award when I first made these delicious danish for a 4-H competition years ago. They're still a family favorite today.—Christie Cochran, Canyon, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:40 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground mace, lemon extract and vanilla extract
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, 1/4 cup shortening, sugar, 2 eggs, salt, mace, extracts and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a large floured surface, roll dough out to a 24-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Dot half of the dough with 1/4 cup of shortening; fold dough lengthwise. Fold the dough three times lengthwise, then two times widthwise, each time dotting with some of the remaining shortening. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- 4. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 16-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Cut into 8-in. x 3/4-in. strips, coil into a spiral shape, tucking end underneath the coil. Place in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Beat remaining egg. Make a depression in the center of each roll; brush with egg. Fill with 1 tablespoon of pie filling. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 40 rolls.
1 danish equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC