Cherry Cream Scones Recipe
Serve these for breakfast or a brunch. They're also a great after-school snack. They freeze well besides—simply thaw, warm and serve when you need them. We live in a cherry-producing region—and every guest expects to find some on our table! My husband and I have three children...20,11 and 9.
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Additional sugar
- 1. Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter. Set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract. Add to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times. Knead in cherries.
- 3. Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges. Repeat with remaining ball. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
- 4. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 12 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 268 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Cream Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC