Cherry Cream Scones Recipe
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Additional sugar
- Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract. Add to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times. Knead in cherries.
- Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges. Repeat with remaining ball. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 12 scones.
Reviews for Cherry Cream Scones
Sort By :
They are nice and soft and tender on the inside with a light and flaky crust.
These are the best - my mom has used this recipe for years. Now I make them & they are always a big hit. The hardest part is not eating too many!!!
This is a fantastic recipe. I've made it as instructed in the directions and also with whole grain wheat and oat flour and they still turn out great.
I have made these scones many times over the years - they are always good. I've even modified when I was out of sour cream or half & half - they still turn out delicious. Like another review said - they are alway moist and delicious!
Made these for a church breakfast/brunch and everyone said these were the best scones they had ever tasted, moist and delicious. I have made them many times over now and everyone still comments on how good they are.