—James Korzenowski, Fennville, Michigan
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cold 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls into a 10-in. ring on a greased 12-in. pizza pan (mounds should be slightly touching). Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape. Carefully cut ring in half horizontally and set top aside; remove soft dough from inside with a fork. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and 1/4 teaspoon extract for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Just before serving, place bottom of cream puff ring on a serving plate. Fill with pudding mixture. In a small bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and remaining extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding. Top with pie filling. Replace cream puff ring top. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Cream Puff Ring in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p60
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cherry Cream Puff Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2016
"Hi JoyceMP,Instruction 5 states to "top with pie filling". Hope that helps!"
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2016
"When do you put the cherry pie filling in puffs?"