This recipe makes a deliciously rich and velvety ice cream that was an instant hit at our home. It's great in summer, but we'll make it other times of the year, too. Ruby Nelson, Mountain Home, Arkansas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups pitted sweet cherries, quartered
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the eggs and sugar. Gradually add 1-3/4 cups cream. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in the egg mixture. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and remaining cream. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in cherries. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Cherry Cream Cheese Ice Cream in Country Extra July 2005, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cherry Cream Cheese Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review