- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup cherry-flavored cola
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons frozen cherry-pomegranate juice concentrate, thawed
- Fresh sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Divide marshmallows between pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking soda. In a small saucepan, combine butter, cola and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly. (Marshmallows will float to the top.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme and juice concentrate on low speed just until blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining frosting. Decorate with cherries. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Cola Cake
Sort By :
"I have made this cake over and over and love it every time! I personally don't see a need for the marshmallows and just omit that step. I never have had an issue with the frosting being too thin and it's my favorite part of the cake...definitely delish! I'm making this for hubby's bday tomorrow. He requested chocolate frosting so I'll be tweaking the original recipe. Looking forward to enjoying this cake again!"
"My cousin made this cake for our Family Reunion yesterday and everyone wanted the recipe. Was so happy when she gave me the information so I could print it today. The cake was so good & very moist. She did say she was unable to find the cherry pomegranate juice concentrate. I noticed others were also unable to locate that item. Any suggestions on substitutions? She also said to be sure and grease everything well as the cake is sticky. Can't wait to make one to share."
"My family really enjoyed this cake, but like the other reviews it wasn't that flavorful. I never found the cherry pomegranate frozen drink so I used the leftover cherry coke, using a little at a time to add flavor to the frosting. I wasn't that impressed with the mini marshmallows either."
"Not worth the effort. Cola flavor doesn't come through. I have no idea what the marshmallows are for since we couldn't taste them. The cake was so sticky and dense it wouldn't come out of the pan (which I definitely greased). Taste is okay but not worth it for the amount of work involved."
"Simply delish. Super moist. I will make again."