Cherry cola and marshmallows make a zippy chocolate dessert that is scrumptious topped with vanilla ice cream. — Cheri Mason, Harmony, North Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup cherry-flavored cola
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons frozen cherry-pomegranate juice concentrate, thawed
- Fresh sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Divide marshmallows between pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking soda. In a small saucepan, combine butter, cola and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly. (Marshmallows will float to the top.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme and juice concentrate on low speed just until blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining frosting. Decorate with cherries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Cola Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2013
Reviews for Cherry Cola Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review