- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup cherry-flavored cola
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons frozen cherry-pomegranate juice concentrate, thawed
- Fresh sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Divide marshmallows between pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking soda. In a small saucepan, combine butter, cola and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly. (Marshmallows will float to the top.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme and juice concentrate on low speed just until blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining frosting. Decorate with cherries. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Cola Cake
Sort By :
Simply delish. Super moist. I will make again.
One of my all-time favorite recipes from this site! The cake is moist and delicious and I've never had anyone tell me they do not like it.
Tasteless! I made cupcakes and they turned out light, fluffy, and looked delicious, but absolutely no flavor. Why it has 4 stars, I will never know. Because the cupcakes didn't bake as long as the cake, my marshmallows didn't turn crispy on top as some of the other reviewers complained about. Wouldn't make again. Have been waiting a year to make this for Valentine's Day, what a joke!
I really liked this cake both room temperature and cold. It was so moist and really kept well. I had an issue with the icing in that it was too runny. So to make it a little better, I stuck it in the fridge for a long time to make it thicker. It worked a little bit but I need to thicken it up with powdered sugar. Otherwise though, it was very good.
I don't like cherry cola - at all - but this was delicious!