My mother got this recipe from a woman named Emmie Oddie, a well-known home economist in Canada who had a column in a farming newspaper. She would test reader recipes in her own kitchen and write about it. These tasty sweets are so rich that you only need a small piece.—Judy Olson, Whitecourt, Alberta
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, mix cracker crumbs, marshmallows, coconut and cherries; stir in condensed milk and flavoring. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; cool until lukewarm, about 15 minutes. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over crumb mixture; refrigerate until set, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 32 bars.
Originally published as Cherry-Coconut Slices in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p120
Reviews for Cherry-Coconut Slices
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review