Cherry Coconut Bars Recipe
I came across these bars while stationed at a Michigan Air Force base in 1964 and have been making them ever since. My children don't think an event is special unless they are part of it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts, cherries and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 94 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC