- 1/2 cup butter, softened plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar. Beat in flour and cocoa (mixture will be crumbly). Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until surface is set. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining butter; beat in milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread over crust. Pat cherries dry with a paper towel; arrange over frosting and press down gently.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cherries. Refrigerate until glaze has hardened. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Cocoa Shortbread Squares in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p31
Reviews for Cherry Cocoa Shortbread Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 23, 2017
"These bars are so pretty on a serving tray for the holidays; These bars a sooo yummy!!"