Cherry Cinnamon Dessert Ring
When I received a 20-lb. box of cherries as a gift one time, I decided to experiment with them—and this turned out to be the successful outcome!
I enter the Domestic Science Division of our annual Fall Fair each year. At a recent one, three recipes I'd found in Country Woman netted me ribbons.
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 3-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- Sweetened whipped cream
- In a saucepan, combine cherries with 3 cups of water, sugar and
- cinnamon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in extract. Set aside. Place remaining
- water in a saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 1
- minute. Heat until dissolved. Stir into cherry mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate until mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally
- to distribute cherries evenly. Spoon into a 5-1/2-cup ring mold.
- Refrigerate until set, about 3-4 hours. Turn onto a serving platter.
- Serve with whipped cream. Yield: 20 servings.