VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red cinnamon candies
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. In a saucepan, combine sugar, candies and cornstarch. Stir in water and juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Stir in cherries. Pour into an 8-in. square baking pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and nuts. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add egg and milk; mix until dry ingredients are moistened (add a few drops more milk if necessary).
- Roll out dough; brush with butter. Combine cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over dough. Roll up; cut into 16 slices. Lay slices over cherry filling. Bake at 400° for 35-30 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Cinnamon Cobbler in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p38
Reviews forCherry Cinnamon Cobbler
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2016
"I made this recipe over 55 years ago. I found the recipe in a book that myMom had pasted recipes she cut out of magazines. I was my first time I made a recipe that I chose the recipe and made myself. It is very good."