- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup green candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add flour; mix well. Stir in cherries and pecans. Chill 1 hour.
- Shape dough into three 10-in. rolls; wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze until ready to bake, or up to 2 months.
- To bake, cut frozen rolls into 1/8-in. slices, and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° until edges are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 11 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Christmas Slices
"Nothing says Christmas better than these cookies chocked full of nits and candied cherries!!"
"These are really great for Christmas...colorful and tasty."
"I'm planning on making these when we return home from week away in RV. I hope&pray they are my mother in laws "cherry winks". one of my favo cookies of hers and one of her favs too. always loved them. she only did red cherries tho never green, I'll do the same. everything else about the recipe looks correct and always used pecans.I'll report results when finished.made the dough and it's getting it's chill on so I can take out/slice/bake. couple hrs from now I shud have results :)I took 1 of the logs out cut it in slices and baked. they are good, a bit temperamental though regarding baking time or temp and maybe that's just me not keeping a close eye. they aren't my mother in laws 'cherry winks' and I was in high hopes. they can probably be a good cookie but I probably won't make again. (unless I'm willing to fiddle around with the recipe/bake time/temp etc.) you never know but for now this will be my last batch."
"I made two batches of dough; one as above, the second I improvised and added grated orange, lemon, & lime zest, slivered almonds, & orange extract instead of vanilla. High altitude tips: make sure butter & eggs at room temp. Preheat oven to 350, and bake slightly less time. Good!!"
"These were very good and easy to make. However, cutting into 1/8" slices gives 20 doz cookies! I think that is an error. I sliced into 1/4" and that was just about perfect, giving me approx 10 doz cookies (4/inch x 10 inch = 40 cookies per roll for a total of 120 cookies or 10 doz.)."
"LOVED these!!! I used walnuts and slightly less cherries because that was what I had on hand. I used almond extract in place of vanilla because I love almond and cherry flavor together. They are great and I am making another batch for the weekend party we are going to. They were less sugary sweet and are more like a shortbread type cookie which I prefer anyway. The red and green is so festive and yummy and they slice up great once frozen. If you want to try something different these are for you."