Cherry Chocolate Pie
Package pudding mix, canned cherries and a frozen crust simplify preparation of this dessert. Friends often request it when they come to our house. Sometimes I'll sprinkle toasted pecans on top for crunch.
—Pearl Lenz of Wichita, Kansas
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries in water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (1.3 ounces each) sugar-free cook-and-serve chocolate pudding mix
- 1 frozen pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Drain cherries, reserving the liquid. In a bowl, combine cherries and
- sugar; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the milk and reserved
- cherry liquid. Stir in pudding mix. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or
- until thickened. Stir in cherries. Pour into crust. Cool on a wire
- rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 169 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.