- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate curls and maraschino cherry, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and
- brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
- well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa,
- baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture
- alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake
- 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out
- clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to
- cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and extract until
- smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and cherry juice; beat until
- smooth. Stir in pecans and cherries. In another bowl, combine the
- frosting ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place one cake layer on a
- serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Repeat layers twice. Top
- with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of
- cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and a cherry if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated without garnishes) equals 669 calories, 32 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 93 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.