Cherry-Chocolate Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries (thawed), coarsely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a rolling boil. Add flour all at once and beat until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 3. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 30-35 minutes or until puffed, very firm and golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Split puffs open. Pull out and discard soft dough from inside tops and bottoms. Cool puffs completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Let whipped topping stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and milk to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low; stir in chocolate until melted. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped topping.
- 5. Just before serving, fill each cream puff with a heaping tablespoonful of cherries; top with chocolate filling. Replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cream puff equals 347 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.