Filled with chocolate chips, hazelnuts and maraschino cherries, this heavenly quick bread is a sweet way to end holiday meals. Your guests will love it as an alternative to traditional fruitcake.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips, nuts and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Cherry Chocolate Chip Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p41
Reviews for Cherry Chocolate Chip Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2015
"I made it without nuts, and used unsweetened applesauce for half of the oil. Turned out beautifully, and tastes very good. Will make again."