Cherry Chip Scones Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried cherries
- 2/3 cup white baking chips
- Coarse sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine yogurt and 1/4 cup milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Knead in the cherries and chips.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat the dough into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges; separate wedges. Brush with remaining milk. If desired, sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Chip Scones(13)
Sort By :
Huge scones as written. I'll cut them smaller next time. The milk burnt on the bottoms too; I won't use it next time.
I am surprised that nobody comented on how sweet these scones are. I had sugar shock when I made these the first time. You have a whole half cup, vanilla yogurt with sugar, cherries that also have sugar in them, and super sweet white chips. Its too much. Cut the sugar cut the calories and be healthier. I am used to cutting sugar in quick breads and if I eat a traditional recipe it really stands out. 2 T of sugar is plenty for this recipe and usually nobody will ever miss the extra sugar.
I've been making these scones since they were published in the TOH magazine several years ago.
Both my daughters have had the same 2nd grade teacher. 3 years ago I made these for this teacher as a Christmas gift. They made such an impression that she requested them again! She'll also be receiving a copy of the recipe so she can make them often.
I've made this a number of times and it always turns out great. Today I went to make it and had neither the vanilla yogurt nor enough cranberries so I substituted peach yogurt and dried apricots. Even better! This is a GREAT recipe!
My picky husband loves these!