When Valentine's Day rolls around, I like to bake these cute muffins in small heart-shaped tins. Drizzled with pink icing, they look adorable and taste wonderful. —Shirley Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Featured In: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Softened cream cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice for glaze (discard remaining juice or save for another use). Chop cherries; fold the chips, pecans and cherries into the batter.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into greased or paper-lined heart-shaped or miniature muffin cups. Bake at 375° for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and reserved cherry juice to make a thin glaze; drizzle over muffins. Serve with cream cheese if desired. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Chip Muffins in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p47
Reviews forCherry Chip Muffins
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2016
"Taste like a chocolate covered cherry! A deliciously different muffin, makes a great brunch or snacktime addition"
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2011
"We all liked this muffin and didn't change anything. Well make again."