Cherry Chewbilees Recipe
Cherry Chewbilees makes a good dish to carry to potlucks and parties. It's a hit for me at home, too—my husband rates it as one of his favorite desserts. We both love the country, and the small town we live in has a very rural-sounding nickname...it's know as the "Forestry Capital of the South"!
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until fine crumbs form. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts and coconut. Set aside 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Spread over hot crust. Bake 15 minutes.
- 3. Spread pie filling on top. Combine remaining nuts and reserved crumbs; sprinkle over cherries. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 251 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC