- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, potatoes, egg yolks and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a very soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out about 1/4 cup of dough into a rope about 8-9 in. long. Tie in a knot; tuck one end on top and the other end under bottom of knot. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Make a deep depression in each roll.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla. Spoon 1 tablespoon into each roll. Make an indentation in cream cheese filling; top each with 2 to 3 cherries from the pie filling (discard remaining cherry sauce or save for another use). Let rise until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over kolaches. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p18
Reviews for Cherry Cheesecake Kolaches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2014
"These are awesome! My son-in-law loves them!"
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2008
"I wish someone would post a picture of this recipe. thanks"