Cherry Cheese Pizza Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries or 1 can (15 ounces) tart cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
- Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Roll out into a 14-in. circle. Place on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Flute edges to form a rim; prick bottom of crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in nuts. Spread over crust. Bake 10 minutes longer. Cool. Drain cherries, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Set cherries and juice aside.
- 4. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in reserved juice until smooth. Add cherries. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer
- 5. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, extract and food coloring. Cool to room temperature; spread over cream cheese layer. Top with whipped cream and mint if desired. Yield: 10-12 slices.
1 slice: 329 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Cheese Pizza
"I've made this many times and everyone loves it. I have to use cherry pie filing since we don't have the other in Costa Rica. I leave off the whipped cream until just before serving."