Cherry-Cheese Gelatin Salad Recipe
THIS recipe was in a community cookbook compiled by our high school’s booster club 22 years ago. The measurements and directions were vague so I experimented until I got it right. This is a pretty salad to serve at luncheons and the flavor is light. --Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 drop almond extract
- 5 lettuce leaves
- 1. Drain pineapple and cherries, reserving juices in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Set fruit aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring juice mixture to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until partially set.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, pecans and extract. Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Gently fold cheese balls and cherries into gelatin mixture. Transfer to five 1-cup molds coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm.
- 4. Unmold onto lettuce-lined plates; arrange pineapple chunks around gelatin. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC