Cherry Cheese Blintzes Recipe
These elegant blintzes can be served as an attractive dessert or a brunch entree. The bright cherry sauce gives them a delightful flavor. I sometimes substitute other fruits, such as raspberries, blueberries or peaches. -Jessica Vantrease, Anderson, Alaska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between. Wrap in foil; refrigerate.
- 3. In a blender, process cottage cheese until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Spread about 1 rounded tablespoonful onto each crepe. Fold opposite sides of crepe over filling, forming a little bundle.
- 4. Place seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring cherries, 2/3 cup water and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with crepes. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving equals 247 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC