Cherry Cheese Blintzes Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between. Wrap in foil; refrigerate.
- 3. In a blender, process cottage cheese until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Spread about 1 rounded tablespoonful onto each crepe. Fold opposite sides of crepe over filling, forming a little bundle.
- 4. Place seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring cherries, 2/3 cup water and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with crepes. Yield: 9 servings.
2 blintzes: 245 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Cherry Cheese Blintzes
"I doubled the cream cheese......absolutely fantastic!!"
"I absolutely HATE Cherries, so I substituted a strawberry sauce. 1 pt of fresh or frozen strawberries (thawed), 1/8 cup water or the juice from the frozen strawberries, 1/2 tsp real balsamic vinegar (optional but well worth it). Puree thoroughly, then add 1/4 cup sugar and stir until dissolved. Add extra sugar to your taste. You CAN cook this before blending. If you do I would bring to a light boil, then add 1-2 tbl of butter before cooling and pureeing. Add the sugar while boiling. Options: substitute orange juice for the water, substitute a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for the balsamic vinegar."
"Recipe is delicious. There are some tricks that I would like to share. First of all, you need to add 4 tablespoons of batter to the 8-inch skillet. 2 tablespoons only coats half of the pan. Also, I used 2% cottage cheese, fat free cream cheese, and skim milk, and it turned out fine. Lastly, it takes a long time to cook & flip each individual crepe; next time I am going to try to have 2 pans going at once. Last time I made these, I made the crepes the day before in order to save time. These are easy, but time-consuming. The taste is worth it, though."
"I make this all the time with gluten free rice four blend, and it is perfect. Makes a great gluten free desert."