Smooth and with the fragrant flavor of sweet cherries, this homemade libation makes a wonderful holiday gift. For an additional treat, the drained cherries are delicious over vanilla ice cream. —Matt Warren, Mequon, Wisconsin
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh unpitted sweet cherries
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 cups spiced rum
- 1-1/2 cups brandy
- Place cherries in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Strain juice through a cheesecloth-lined colander; divide cherries among six 1-pint jars.
- Return juice to saucepan; add sugar and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in rum and brandy; pour syrup into bottles over cherries. Cover and let stand for at least 1 month, stirring every week. Store in a cool dry place up to 3 months. Yield: 5-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Cherry Bounce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Cherry Bounce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review