- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into 24 portions; shape each portion around a cherry, forming a ball. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, combine sugar, butter and cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Bonbon Cookies
"Great taste. Easy to make. At first my dough was crumbly, but I'm never terribly exact measuring flour or powdered sugar. I added about a teaspoon of water and that made the dough stick together."
"These were great, but I did change them up a bit. I only used 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar in the dough, and added a few drops of red food coloring to tint the dough pink. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. I was worried that these cookies wouldn't travel well with the frosting so I rolled them in additional confectioners' sugar."
"those who had trouble with crumbling maybe did not measure exactly, maybe too much flour. thought they were great."
"Did not have a problem with the dough being too dry & not holding together at all! I made the icing & put into a plunger type decorating tube, so that it would come out like the picture. Ended up with about double the icing I would have needed. Other than that, they are REALLY good."
"Sorry wil try these again trying to make the dough a little bit more so it is moister than it was. Will try that. Even though they did not turn out pretty they did taste good."
"I found the cookiee dough was to crumble would not form into a ball around the cherry"
"I have a similar recipe froma very old betty crocker cookbook that my mom passed on to me. She made her bon bons with a hershey kiss inside too and topped with some chocolate ganache type icing. They are amazing!"
"These were amazing! I'm not a fan of maraschino cherries by themselves by this was a great recipe! Everyone loved them!"
"I'm decreasing the flour next time. They came together O.K. to bake but there was a flour aftertaste. The Mexican wedding cookie recipe I usually make uses 1 cup of butter to 2 cups of flour. Next time I will add a little cherry extract and use jumbo maraschino cherries. I don't even like cherry that much but these cookies are worth a second go around."