I've used mulberries instead of blackberries in this old family recipe. Whichever you choose, it's a mouthwatering treat. —Wanda Allensworth, Webster City, Iowa
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened blackberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Whipped cream
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, tapioca, extract and cinnamon. Gently stir in cherries and blackberries. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add walnuts; sprinkle over fruit. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm with whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Cherry-Blackberry Crisp in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p54
Reviews for Cherry-Blackberry Crisp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review