Cherries and raspberries are plentiful here in Upper Peninsula. This recipe has been in my family many years. I won first place with it in a contest.
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen red raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Drain cherries and raspberries; reserve 1-1/4 cups juice and set fruit aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, extract and food coloring. Gently fold in fruit. Cool slightly. Pour filling into pie crust and top with a lattice crust. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Berry Pie in Country August/September 1991, p47
Reviews for Cherry Berry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013
"This was very good. I did add more berries."
Reviewed Jun. 20, 2010
"This pie was very tasty. The filling was a little runny, but my family are not picky eaters so they enjoyed it very much."