- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 cups pitted tart red or bing cherries
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl; set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on high for 40 seconds. Stir and let stand for 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into egg mixture; tint with food coloring if desired.
- Set bowl over larger bowl filled with ice water. As soon as the cooked mixture begins to set up, fold in the cream and cherries. Pour into 2-qt. serving bowl and refrigerated 4-6 hours or overnight. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Bavarian Cream in Taste of Home February/March 1995, p9
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cherry Bavarian Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review