- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Bars
Sort By :
I have made these many times and they always go! They're just right, not too sweet and easy to make.
I have tried this recipe, and have found it to be a very good one, it was very delicious, and I would use it again.....
Mixed emotions about these. The crust and toping is lacking something. I think maybe a sweeter crumb topping might be better.
They are ok. Not "to-die-for". Easy enough that I may make again, but other desserts outshine these in taste...a little heavy on the almond extract. Turn out well if prepared exactly as directions say, but need to bake longer in the oven.
Great dessert. I used only 1 can of pie filling and baked the bars for 30 minutes in a jelly roll pan and it was perfect. The flavor of the dough was like a sugar cookie. Will definitely be making this again.